InsightSquared understands that every business works a little differently and that the adaptability of the Platform to your process is paramount in accurately and efficiently analyzing, reporting, and giving insight to your data. If the typical Platform Hierarchy, which includes a Salesforce User/Manager or User Role Hierarchy, doesn't fit your business model, you can import a CSV to create your own custom hierarchy!
Creating a Custom Hierarchy Instance in the IS2 Platform
1. Go to the hierarchy settings page by clicking here, or navigate to the page by opening the left nav and selecting Settings, then selecting Hierarchies from the dropdown in the top right.
2. Create a new instance of a custom hierarchy by clicking + add as illustrated below.
Pro tip: You can repeat this process as many times as you want to create as many custom hierarchies as needed.
3. Search for and select Custom CRM User Hierarchy, then click next in the upper right-hand corner.
4. Enter a Name for your hierarchy instance and click save.
5. Once saved, enable the definition by toggling the new hierarchy to ON.
(Toggled ON = teal dot with a checkmark, OFF = gray dot.)
Building the CSV for Upload
First, we need to create a custom user property in Salesforce to fetch the fully qualified 18-character ID that is not available in reports by default.
1. Head over to Salesforce Setup and navigate to user > field customization.
2. Scroll down to add a new custom property.
3. Select "field data type" as formula.
4. Name the field whatever you like (we went with "18 char ID" for this example).
5. The formula output type is text.
6. The formula to paste into the editor is as follows:
7. Save the formula.
Note: There is no need to add this new field to any layouts, just ensure the user managing this hierarchy has access to view the field in Salesforce reports.
Exporting Required Data
2. Exporting from Hubspot: Unfortunately, HubSpot does not allow the exporting of users from their UI. Please contact support and we will be happy to complete this step for you.
Exporting from Salesforce
Create a report of users you want to include in your custom hierarchy with the following columns (ORDER IS IMPORTANT):
- First Name
- Last Name
- 18 char ID (our custom field from above)
The report should look like this:
Export this report to a CSV
Creating the Hierarchy to Upload to InsightSquared
1. Make a copy of this google sheet.
2. Paste your exported CSV from above into the first sheet of the workbook where indicated below.
3. Navigate to the "email hierarchy" sheet (the second sheet of the workbook).
4. Build your hierarchy! On this sheet, start building your hierarchy by copy and pasting email addresses from the User report sheet into the email and manager email columns.
The "email" column represents a user you want to represent in the hierarchy and the "manager email" column represents the manager for that user.
Note: Every hierarchy needs at least 1 root, this is accomplished by leaving the manager email cell blank for one user (the top of the hierarchy i.e. CEO)
Here is a sample of a valid hierarchy:
5. Navigate to the "Output" sheet
6. Verify that there are no red error cells present like the one below:
7. Export the "Output" Sheet to CSV by selecting File > Download > Comma-separated values (.csv, current sheet)
Uploading a Hierarchy CSV to InsightSquared
1. Navigate to the hierarchy settings instance we created earlier.
2. Open the Hierarchy CSV Uploader Section and select the .csv file to upload.
3. Save your hierarchy by clicking save in the upper right corner.
4. Preview your hierarchy by using the preview tab.
Enjoy! You can now find your custom hierarchy in the InsightSquared Hierarchy navigator:
If you run into any issues please contact support.